Want to dig deeper into today’s message and take it beyond Sunday? Use this discussion guide with your small group, with your family, or even on your own to dig deeper into God’s Word and apply it to your life!
Start Talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- What is your favorite team sport?
Start Digging. Open up the Bible and start getting into the passage.
- Would you say this church has more “servants” or more “masters”? What’s wrong? From some of the things that Paul says, what are they doing? Not doing?
- How do the qualities in verses 2 and 3 promote unity? How does viewing God as our Father add to our unity?
- What does Paul recommend in verse 11? How would he go about building a successful management team? What would be the goal?
- If Paul were a management consultant appraising the productivity in the church today, what would he say? How would he go about changing things?
- Dig deeper: Read more about the body of Christ in 1 Corinthians 12:12-31. What message do both of these passages communicate about the church?
Start Applying. Reflect on the passage and look for ways to apply it to your life.
- Are you living up to the “calling you have received” (v. 1)? In your work? Your home? Your relationships? Why or why not?
- Of the four jobs he describes for a management team, which job would you choose based on your understanding of your gifts: apostle (pioneer and church planter), prophet (motivator and encourager), evangelist (soul winner) or pastor/teacher trainer and coach)? How can you develop this gift?
- Are you more likely to “speak the truth” or “in love” try to keep the peace at any price? To achieve a balance, what do you need to learn?
Start Praying. Be bold and pray with power.
Pray that the unity of the church would be built up and that we would be a church that follows after Jesus’ heart.