Week 3: Matthew 10:5, 21-33
Start Talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- What kind of situations make you feel anxious?
- Has your faith in Jesus taken you to any difficult situations that you otherwise wouldn’t have been in?
Start Digging. Open up the Bible and start getting into the passage.
- Jesus sent out His twelve apostles. Where did He send them (v.6)? Where did He not want them to go (v.5)? Why were they not to go to these places? (See also Isaiah 53:6, Jeremiah 50:6, and Matthew 15:24.)
- Jesus warns His apostles they will cause division in people’s families and be hated (vv. 21-22). Why is enduring this persecution (v. 23) important for “sent out ones” of Jesus Christ (v. 22)?
- What did Jesus say His apostles should do if they were persecuted in a particular city? (See Matthew 10:23.)
- Why might the state persecute a Christian when their desire is to live a pure life, show love to others and reverence to God?
- Jesus again warns His apostles about mistreatment (v. 25) from those they will witness to. Read Luke 6:40. Why is Jesus sending His apostles to those He knows will mistreat them?
- By whom was Jesus called “Beelzebub” (v. 25)? (See Matthew 9:34; 12:24, Mark 3:22, and Luke 11:15.)
- Jesus instructs His apostles to be bold in their witness by preaching what they hear in the dark and in their ear in the light and from the housetops (v. 27). He gives them an eternal perspective (v. 28) on their preaching and mentions two seemingly unimportant items: sparrows and the number of hairs on their heads. Why does Jesus want them to be aware of His Father’s intimate knowledge of their lives (vv. 28-31)?
- Read Matthew 10:32-33. Why is it important to boldly tell others (confess) about Jesus?
Start Applying. Reflect on the passage and look for ways to apply it to your life.
- What sort of expectation does this chapter give of the Christian life? What are the costs and benefits of following Jesus?
- What is worth fearing? What is not worth fearing and why? (Matthew 10:26-31)
- How does Jesus’ presence in our lives help you when faced with anxiety?
Start Praying. Be bold and pray with power.
Father, thank You for sending Your apostles. Help me to respond to Your calling, that I, too, may be sent to preach Your message to this world. Calm my fears and anxiety and help me focus my eyes on Jesus. Amen.